Tuesday, July 24, 2012

"The Unquiet Heart"


New prose piece I'm working on. Not sure where I'm going with it yet...





"The Unquiet Heart"

It’s cold and wet here, but then it’s always cold and damp in this place where love is a barren dream. When love comes with an x factor that is immutable and intangible and yet still impacts everything it touches. You were a sweet dream that blew in on a storm, churning the emotional waters of a still lake that bled depth into the choppy sea, breathing life and passion into me. Why then do I still feel the wake of your passing now that you are long gone? Maybe it’s a desperate plea for you to return. A vain hope that is a cruel mistress that taunts me, making me believe that someday I’ll open the door and find you there waiting. Waiting with that patient half smile you always watched me with, I was a lab animal and you were my beautiful scientist cataloguing my habits.

You were always the free spirit, laughing in the wind and chasing the madness with a smile. The world came alive around you and sent tendrils into everyone you met. You walked into a room and sent sparks that charged the skin and sought out life with a fervor itching to be consumed. The air fairly crackled around you and that passion pierced the shadows around my heart.

I felt it that first moment my eyes swept across yours in a sea of people. The hot sticky Georgia summer pulsed around us thick as soup that lay heavy in our lungs as we breathed in the night air. It was a magnetism that drew me to you in an unaccustomed moment of abandon, I asked you to dance. You laughed tipping your head back and the throaty noise slipped around me ensnaring me.

“You’re cute sugar.” You replied with your husky voice that felt like scotch burning its way into my belly and leaving a smoldering fire of yearning in its wake. “I don’t dance.”

And then you sauntered off giving me a careless wink as you left. My world came crashing down around me that night. That one wink and I knew I had to possess you. Knew you had to be mine, but it was you who possessed me, you who claimed me and I was lost in a sea of want.

No comments:

Post a Comment